Bedroom Ideas for Couples
Room Decor & Furniture Ideas for Couples
Designing a bedroom that you and your partner will love can be challenging. It’s important to work together and decide on color schemes, comfy beds, practical storage furniture and chic accents that appeal to both of you. With a little communication and teamwork, it’s easy to create a cozy aesthetic and blend of styles that you and your loved one can agree on.
This post offers bedroom decorating ideas for couples, along with a few tips to help you avoid the pitfalls of furnishing a shared space. Keep reading for suggestions on:
Choosing the Best Bed for Couples
Two people rarely sleep the exact same way. One partner may be a fidgety side sleeper, while the other might feel comfier spreading out and sleeping on their back. Along with having the right dimensions to fit your master bedroom layout, the best bed for couples should be spacious and cozy enough to help both of you enjoy a healthy night’s rest.
To choose the right size bed, consider the size of your space as well as how much elbow room you and your partner need. A larger bed offers maximum comfort and gives couples plenty of room to spread out. Meanwhile, a smaller bedframe suits a compact bedroom. Consider some of these common bed sizes for couples:
- Queen Beds for Couples: A queen bedroom set offers plenty of room for most couples to sleep, snuggle and stretch out comfortably. Since these bedframes are smaller than a king, they help your shared space feel less cramped.
- King Sized Beds for Couples: Roomy king-size beds are the best beds for couples who like their space and enjoy cuddling. With comfy couples bedding sets and unique decor, you can make this large bed the focal point of your bedroom.
- California King Beds for Couples: One of the most common choices for couples is the California king mattress and bed. Some couples prefer the extra length of a California king versus a regular king mattress. The wider dimensions also let you enjoy all the leg and elbow room you need while providing a place to snuggle up and sleep.
Whichever size bed set you choose for your couples’ room, make sure your selection suits the space. Select a bedroom set with enough pieces to fit the room without overcrowding it. If the room feels too full or cluttered, try removing other pieces of furniture or rearranging the layout.
Mattresses for Couples
Once you’ve decided on a bed frame, you’ll need to choose the right mattress to complete your comfy, couple-friendly bedroom design. Before you buy a mattress, talk with your partner about what each of you needs for a good night’s sleep. Do you like mattresses that are firm or soft? Do you prefer an innerspring or memory foam mattress? The answers will guide you to the perfect cozy compromise.
Versatile hybrid mattresses that reduce motion transfer are great mattresses for couples who are restless sleepers. Split mattresses and adjustable bases let each person customize their sleeping position and angle and may help reduce back pain and snoring. Meanwhile, mattresses with cooling gel absorb body heat to help keep you and your partner cool while asleep.
Adequate Storage for Two
A couple’s bedroom needs ample storage pieces to organize your and your partner’s belongings. Cramming all your clothes into one small chest or leaving piles on the floor looks messy and makes outfits and accessories hard to find. Add some of the following furnishings to your bedroom to provide plenty of storage space for both of you:
- Nightstands: Placing a nightstand on either side of the bed creates a balanced look. At the same time, it allows couples to store their belongings separately and use the bedside light for individual tasks like reading while the other watches TV.
- Dressers: A large 9-drawer dresser lets couples store all their clothes in one place while still keeping each person’s outfits separate. You and your partner can designate drawers for all your tops, bottoms, socks and underwear, then use the top felt-lined drawer to hold jewelry and watches.
- Chests of Drawers: When it comes to furnishing a small bedroom for couples, a tall chest of drawers is a smart, space-saving choice. Deep drawers store all your clothes while the sleeker, taller frame takes up less floor space than a typical wide dresser.
- Bedroom Sets: Complete bedroom sets that come with dressers, chests and nightstands create a cohesive look with a single purchase, making them another efficient small bedroom idea for couples.
- Storage Beds: Looking for more unique and convenient storage options for your bedroom? Consider a king or queen-size storage bed with lower pull-out drawers to hold extra bedding, sheets and pillows.
Couple Room Ideas Using Color and Style
Celebrating each other’s quirks and interests is important in a relationship. Your couples bedroom design should showcase both of your stylish tastes in a way that reflects compromise and the blend of your unique personalities. With good-looking color palette pairings and smart style mixing, you can create a look that gives you and your loved one the best of both worlds.
Bedroom Colors for Couples
Whether it’s vibrant and energizing or dark and moody, color is the foundation of any style. Everything from wall paint colors to furniture finishes sets the mood for your cozy couples’ bedroom. Discuss your favorite shades and color combinations with your partner and check out these suggestions on bedroom colors for couples to find a palette that works for both of you:
- Neutral Palettes: Shades of black, off-white, beige and gray provide a versatile backdrop to let your imagination run wild. Robust earth tones have a similar effect while also adding a warm, grounding appeal to your bedroom. For example, a light wood king bedroom set creates a charming, natural atmosphere and makes a gorgeous base for bright and colorful bedspreads.
- Color and Contrast: If your partner prefers bold hues while you like softer, simpler shades, combine both colors to create lovely contrast. Paint the walls ivory to complement your white bedroom set, then add bedding and decor in eye-catching shades of ocean blue, brilliant red or sunny yellow.
- Dark and Modern: Bedrooms with dark gray walls, black metal bed frames and charcoal bedding have a sophisticated, yet chill vibe that’s perfect for couples who like to keep it casual and chic.
- Light and Airy: Bright color palettes are perfect for small spaces, quaint bedroom designs and rooms with lots of natural light. Off-white walls, beige bedding, light wood bedroom sets and potted plants make your room look fresh and clean, creating the perfect atmosphere to go to bed and wake up refreshed with the one you love.
- Ambient Jewel Tones: Looking for a romantic bedroom idea for a couple’s room? Rich jewel tones have a luxury feel, perfect for your bedroom. Combining emerald green bedding, a gold chandelier and sapphire blue headboard creates an opulent retreat for couples.
Mixing Styles in Couple Room Decor
Once you’ve decided on a color scheme, consult with your partner to find a bedroom style or theme you can agree on. Couples’ bedroom decor should complement both of your unique tastes and ensure that each of your personalities shines through. Bringing your couples’ room design ideas to life may take some time, but a little teamwork makes the process much simpler.
Do you love the elegance of traditional furniture while your partner prefers rustic and cottage-style pieces? Compromise by choosing a king-size light wood bedroom set that blends both looks. While this arrangement’s lavish details and grand size appeal to your tastes, the distressed natural wood finish provides the warmth and charm that your loved one wants.
Combining multiple styles often leads to surprising and stunning results. Creating style mashups by blending classic, retro and modern bedroom ideas for couples promotes a clean, updated look with personal touches from you and your partner. At the same time, an eclectic style allows you both to incorporate different kinds of decor, from boho rugs and coastal wicker bedside tables to elegant wall art and contemporary headboards.
Some design combos let you bend the rules while staying within the boundaries of your particular theme. For instance, the elements of modern, contemporary and transitional styles play off one another to help you create a specific look that you and your partner will love. Also, transitional bedroom sets are excellent for blending modern and classic themes for a secure, cohesive presentation.
When choosing your bedroom decor, pick pieces that complement your combined theme as well as items that have sentimental meaning for you and your partner. Rather than splitting the room down the middle and having each person keep their favorite things on their side, spread different wall art, photos and accents throughout the space to unify your styles and reflect your strong bond.
Wall Decor for A Couples Bedroom
Decorating the walls is a great way to put the finishing touches on your stylish bedroom theme or design. It also lets you and your significant other display who you are as individuals and as a couple. Try out some of these wall decorating ideas for your chic and cozy couples bedroom:
- Photo Arrangements: Hanging up photos of you and your loved one is a sweet way to fill your bedroom with symbols of your loving relationship. Wedding photos look beautiful above a bed, while date night, holiday and vacation pictures are perfect for your bedside, en suite bathroom or walk-in closet.
- Scripts and Quotes: Wall decor featuring meaningful quotes, scripts and sentimental handwritten letters help keep memories and love alive for you and your spouse. Keep things simple with block letter initials or love-themed rustic wooden signs above the bed. For something personal and heartfelt, cover your wall with a printed decal of your wedding vows.
- Decorative Wall Art: Stay on theme with your bedroom design using decorative wall art that works with your color palette. You can also use artwork to represent what you and your partner enjoy, such as a world map that showcases your love of travel or a painted skyline of the city where you met.
- Mirrors: Large, decorative wall mirrors reflect natural light throughout your room, making the space appear larger and brighter. Mirrors also look elegant and blend with any style while making it easier to get ready in the mornings or before date night.
Other Accent Furniture and Couples’ Bedroom Decor Options
Where wall art adds an artistic flair to your couples’ bedroom, other kinds of home decor give the space a functional boost. Bedroom accent furniture lets you enjoy relaxing, leisure activities before bedtime. Available in a range of gorgeous styles, these versatile items also help you achieve the clean, chic and comfy look you and your partner are going for.
- Accent Seating: Whether you place a traditional settee beside the window or set a small loveseat against a far wall, bedroom seating gives you a stylish and practical place to read, take naps or watch TV before bed. You can also use a lovely upholstered accent bench at the foot of the bed for seating, storage or a spot for your beloved pets to sleep.
- Cabinets and Accent Tables: Small accent tables are a space-saving substitute for nightstands, while cabinets provide excellent storage for toiletries and extra bed linens. If you have a TV set in the bedroom, use a console table with drawers to display it neatly before the bed and keep remotes and movies organized.
- Bedding: Couples bedding should fit the bed, the color palette and your style. Once you know what size and color comforter set you want, personalize your bedspread with patterned throw pillows or quilts with embroidered quotes and printed photos.
Lighting and Ambiance
Lighting creates a romantic atmosphere while also brightening up windowless bedrooms. Place a slender floor lamp in the corner to give the room a relaxing, ambient glow. Or, install sconces on each side of the bed to serve as task lighting for partners who like to read in bed. You can also explore unique bedside lighting options like hanging pendant lights and dramatic chandeliers.
Compromise is key when coming up with bedroom ideas for couples. You and your partner must work together to design a space with furniture, colors, styles and accessories that work for both of you. Try out a few of these couples’ bedroom tips to create a chic and cozy getaway that you and your significant other will love for years to come.