Black and White Designs
Black and white is a fashionable, practical and stunning color combination. Whether these versatile shades stand alone or blend with other hues, they can make it easy for you to create an array of coordinated and curated looks. By choosing the right black and white furnishings and accenting them with unique colors and patterns, you can establish a chic black and white design in every room.
Looking to boost your aesthetic by decorating with black and white? Keep reading to discover black and white interior design tips on:
- Achieving a look where black and white work together as an iconic pair
- Decorating your home room-by-room with black and white furniture and accents
- Incorporating a black and white color palette into various styles for a tailored look
- Playing with patterns and accent colors in a black and white theme
The Look of Black and White Interior Design
Balance is an important principle in design and black and white shades are an iconic, harmonious pairing. While black and white are stunning when you use them separately, bringing them together gives you the best of both worlds. Using these colors side-by-side creates crisp contrast for a striking effect across different styles and palettes.
Dark black tones can seem intense and overwhelming in large doses. However, this grounding color makes a gorgeous visual anchor in almost any space. Anything from a sable accent wall to a luxurious jet-black leather chair can make a gorgeous backdrop for your interior design. Overall, this shade can bring a sense of authority, sophistication and mystery to your layout.
White, on the other hand, is a bright, peaceful shade that often conveys cleanliness, positivity and innocence. For many rooms, white furniture and decor provides a blank canvas to help other colorful pieces pop. Radiant porcelain tones also reflect light to help small areas appear larger, while softer off-white shades promote a crisp yet cozy vibe.
Decorating with Black and White Room-by-Room
Depending on how you use furniture and accents throughout the space, a black and white theme can help your layouts look classic, elegant or even casual. As such, this stylish pairing can be a fitting choice for your primary bedroom, hallways, mudrooms and any room in between. Capture that clean, chic look throughout your home by using black and white decor in the following rooms:
Black and White Living Rooms
The trick to decorating your living room in black and white is to start with large pieces, then balance the layout with smaller accents. Choose your dominant shade or use variations of both black and white furniture to outfit your space. If you have an onyx couch, add a couple of cream armchairs. Alternatively, a white sectional goes well with a black table set.
Along with furniture, black and white decor can ground your space while complementing your color scheme. Black light fixtures like floor lamps and chandeliers provide stunning contrast against white ceilings and walls. Black and white wall art, paintings and photographs look gorgeous above a couch or fireplace, while black and white throw pillows provide a cozy, chic way to use both shades at once.
Other Living Room Options
Sleepers & Loveseats
Living Room Sets
Bedrooms in Black and White
Whether you’re decorating a guest room, kid’s room or primary bedroom suite, you can use black and white bedroom furniture to suit the sleek, sophisticated or playful aesthetic of the space. Use your bed as a stunning focal point by pairing an obsidian headboard with black and white bedding, such as snow-white sheets and a linen-white comforter set.
Other Bedroom Options
Dressers & Chests
Black and white pieces are a versatile, gender-neutral option for kids’ rooms as well. A white or black bed can suit your child’s stylish tastes throughout their toddler, tween and teen years. Fluffy off-white rugs help soften hardwood floors, while a black bean bag chair offers additional comfy seating. Try using white decor in a happy, carefree kid’s room and save darker, more refined shades for teenagers.
Other Kids Bedroom Options
Dressers & Chests
Black and White Dining Room Themes
Pairing black and white creates a timeless look in both casual and formal dining room setups. Take this color combination to your dining room to set the mood for black-tie dinner parties as well as quiet family meals. From white table cloths and black centerpieces to black and white check-patterned picnic blankets, a black and white theme brings comfy, classic appeal to your dining area.
Use your dining room seating arrangement to play around with different materials in black and white finishes. Set a white glass-top table set with white upholstered chairs on top of a charcoal rug for a chic look that’s perfect for hosting. Pair a natural wood table with black chairs to give your space a sleek, upscale appearance or use a white runner on a light wood buffet for a subtler theme.
Other Black & White Dining Room Options
Dining Room Seating
Dining Room Storage & Service
Sophisticated Black and White Home Office
A black and white theme is ideal for professional and elegant home offices. If you’re looking to create a productive, practical and polished atmosphere in your workspace, consider pairing a sleek leather office chair with a striking ivory-colored desk and a dark midnight-black rug underneath.
Because white is such a bright, reflective shade, it’s an excellent choice for those looking to enhance the natural light in their home office. White accent walls also make the perfect backgrounds for video calls when working from home. Meanwhile, black photo frames, bookshelves, filing cabinets and wall decor help create eye-catching contrast in a predominantly white room.
Black and White Bathroom Decor
White and black themes can also bring a clean, refined look to your bathroom. Bright white walls and floor tiles help open up small spaces, while black tiles can easily hide dirt, rust and hard water stains. At the same time, white porcelain sinks and bathtubs add a crisp, timeless touch to your bathroom, while black and white marble countertops deliver the same classic effect.
Black and White Themes in Every Style
You can also tailor black and white designs to complement your personal style preferences. Neutral black and white furniture suits almost any palette, so switching up materials, textures and shades to highlight your unique tastes can be an easy task. Check out these suggestions on incorporating this combo into your simple, bold or eclectic aesthetic.
To bring timeless, elegant appeal to your design, start by making white your dominant color. An ivory bedroom set with wrought iron embellishments evokes sophistication with a hint of opulence. In your living room, a traditional beige sofa set with an ebony-stained coffee table and a floral-print black and white rug creates a classic, comfortable aesthetic.
Our collection also includes white traditional tables for dining rooms.
Contemporary design often includes dark pieces featuring lighter accents. Try pairing a black leather couch with an arctic white ottoman and snowy white toss pillows in your living room. For an extra touch of comfort in your contemporary layout, try choosing plush, upholstered furniture and textured accent tables with marble or glass tops.
Modern design is all about sleek, simple and sophisticated style. A modern room with a black and white color palette may also have many similarities to a minimalist layout. Look for furniture with straight lines and subtle detailing to achieve a polished look. A white-painted bedroom with an all-black bed, bedding, nightstands and light fixtures creates a simple setup for this understated design.
Showcasing a beautiful blend of classic and cutting-edge decor, transitional rooms are perfect for the balanced look of black and white. Pair a streamlined charcoal-colored fabric sofa with an ornate alabaster rug and throw pillows featuring a black and white pattern. It also helps to use shades of gray throughout your design to highlight the middle ground between these two contrasting colors.
This neutral duo can serve as a backdrop for the colorful pastels of the typical cottage palette. Consider a simple sable and cream dining set as the base for your breakfast nook. You can also set up furniture with unique patterns and vintage finishes, including a black and white pinstripe ottoman, a plaid accent chair or an off-white dresser with brushed nickel pulls.
While earth tones are usually the go-to for retro designs, finding balance through black and white shades can keep these hues from overwhelming the space. Geometric, black-and-white patterned rugs make a lovely addition to your hardwood dining room or living room floors. You can also find wall art and paintings with abstract black and white designs that put a new spin on your traditional look.
Black and white color palettes can lend a more modern vibe to your country-style setup. Try combining all-white furniture with black accessories and hardware to highlight natural wood accents and capture that modern farmhouse style. For example, choose a white TV stand with barn doors, a natural wood top and black metal grating to give your media room a charming look.
Unique Black and White Color Palettes, Patterns & Pairings
Though black and white patterns can make a big impact on their own, they also look lovely alongside more vibrant hues. The transitional black, white and gray color scheme we mentioned before has a comforting look that complements a wide range of other styles. Meanwhile, more saturated colors and patterns let you personalize your palette to suit your particular tastes.
Other Black and White Color Palettes
Introducing other colors to black and white rooms lets you establish a bolder and more versatile look. Adding vivid hues can also refresh your design and create opportunities for unique home decor color pairings. Some colors that look great with black and white themes are:
- Yellows: A mustard yellow chair in a black and white office evokes an air of happiness and promotes focus, while gold finishes on chandeliers and accent tables are a luxurious addition to modern living rooms and primary bedrooms.
- Reds: Energize your palette with bold shades of red. Bright crimson, candy apple-red and scarlet throw pillows on a white leather sofa make a lovely statement in the living room. Meanwhile, adding rose and wine-colored accents to your black and white bedroom give the space a chic, sophisticated appeal.
- Pinks: A blush-pink bedspread is an adorable choice for a white and black bedroom, especially a pretty polka dot-patterned girls’ bedroom. Meanwhile, a fuchsia rug, painting or table runner transforms your dining room into a flirty, fun space to throw parties.
- Silver: Silver fixtures, hardware and accents brighten up a black and white room for contemporary appeal. Create an out-of-this-world look with a shimmering silver bed set and black linens. Or, check out chrome-finished dining sets with white leather seating.
- Blues: Combining powder blue tones with black and white creates a soft and whimsical palette, perfect for vintage and French Country decor. On the other hand, a sapphire blue velvet chair looks glamorous in a black and white living room.
- Browns: Whether you choose oak-finished table sets, deep mahogany floors or a chocolate brown ottoman, earthy brown shades bring a classic look to your black and white palette. Adding this third neutral color livens up your layout with a touch of charming warmth.
Decorating with Black and White Patterns
Decorative patterns are a useful design tool when outfitting rooms with a particular color palette. In addition to adding eye-catching interest, different prints and motifs can help you express your unique personality and sense of style. Some ideas for black and white patterns include:
- Checkerboard: Check patterns work well for kitchen floors, bathroom walls and blanket or throw pillow designs. Opt for the standard black and white tiles for a neat and simple look. Or, try pieces that integrate a third hue into the pattern to spice things up a little.
- Polka Dot: A little goes a long way for white and black home decor, so a black and white polka dot lamp with a pink or blue lampshade is a lovely little accent for your nightstand or living room end table.
- Plaid Multi-colored plaid prints are a classic choice for adding contrast to your space. Try using a subtly striped onyx and ivory comforter set to stabilize your monochromatic bedroom palette.
- Animal Prints Looking to bring a little quirkiness to your interior design? Consider a zebra print rug for a whimsical way to embrace black and white patterns.
Whether you prefer a modern or traditional look, a black and white design is a wonderful choice for your layout. Use these tips to help you go big with a full room makeover. Or, take a simple approach and add a piece of black-and-white-patterned furniture or decor to capture the look you love.
Living Room Options
White Living Room Furniture
Black Living Room Options
White Bedroom Furniture
Black Bedroom Furniture
Dining Room Options
White Dining Room Furniture
Black Dining Room Furniture