Choosing the Best Power Lift Recliner or Chair
When searching for the best lift chair or recliner for you, it’s important to focus on what feels good. Choosing a chair with the right adjustment positions and practical features is the key to maximizing your comfort. You should also select a soft, supple seat that is easy to clean and complements the other decor in your layout.
This guide offers helpful tips on choosing a cozy and stylish power lift recliner, including:
- Common reasons for buying a power lift chair
- Different types of power recliner and lift chair positions
- Special lift chair features and functions
- Comfortable cushion and fabric choices with maintenance tips
- Lift chair sizes and placements to suit your space
- Practical furniture pairings for your power recliner
- Various styles and colors of lift chairs
Why Buy a Power Lift Chair or Recliner?
Many people buy power lift recliners and chairs to cope with temporary and long-term mobility issues. Chronic pain, injuries and certain medical conditions can make standing up and sitting down difficult. Adjustable lift chairs bring your seat to you by rising up and lowering down to help you sit comfortably and safely.
Shoppers choose these practical seats to accommodate all sorts of mobility needs. Some people buy lift chairs for elderly relatives to help them sit slowly and avoid falling. Others use them as part of their universal design layout to make transfers easier for people with disabilities. Whatever your reasons, lift recliners are an excellent addition to your comfy, accessible setup.
- Two-Position Lift Recliners: A standard two-position lift chair sits upright while you enjoy meals and conversation in the living room. When you want to watch a movie or flip through a good book, the chair reclines so you can kick back and get cozy.
- Three-Position Power Reclining Lift Chair: Three-position lift recliners are some of the best lift chairs for sleeping. In these seats, you can sit up, lean back or lie almost completely flat if you want to take a short nap.
- Infinite Power Lift Recliner: If you need lift chairs for seniors, consider adding infinite lift recliners to your home. These chairs offer the same upright, reclining and horizontal poses as the other options. However, they also have adjustable foot- and headrests that let your loved ones find their most comfortable position.
Special Power Lift Recliner Features
Many of the best lift chairs also come with extra features that take your relaxation to the next level. Some offer a soothing swivel, gliding or rocking motion, while others have cup holders, storage consoles and side pockets that keep drinks, snacks and medications within reach. You can also find seats with high-tech options like wireless remotes, USB ports or built-in heat and massage mechanisms.
Power Lift Chair Fabrics and Cushions: Seat Designs for Maximum Comfort
With so many types of power lift chairs available, how do you choose the right one for you? The first step is finding a seat with soft, supportive materials to keep you comfy. Plush padding makes chairs nice and cozy, while breathable, textured fabrics help these seats look and feel great. We’ve put together the following tips to help you select a chair with the right cushions and upholstery to suit your needs.
Lift Recliner Cushion Styles
Cushioned seats and backrests should provide the springy, supportive surface you need to relax in your lift chair. Pillow-back power lift recliners conform to your shape and let you sink into softness. Button-tufted seats, on the other hand, tend to be firmer. For a mix of suppleness and stability, try a split-back chair or add a cushy throw pillow for extra lumbar support.
Lift Chair Fabric Types
Your power lift recliner should be gentle on the skin and soft to the touch. Plush microfiber upholstery keeps your lift chair feeling warm and snuggly when it’s cold out while staying light and breathable on hot afternoons. Top-grain leather, poly-blend chenille and velvet seats also provide smooth, soothing texture and give your room a luxurious look.
Lift Chair Maintenance and Care
Whichever type of cushioning and fabric you choose, proper furniture cleaning and maintenance ensures that your lift chair recliner stays comfy and beautiful over time. Manage minor stains and spills with a store-bought upholstery cleaner. Or, use mild soap and warm water to spot clean your seat. To repair ripped or frayed material, use a strong fabric or leather adhesive to fix tears or worn seams.
Power lift chairs often have electronic power sources and backup batteries, so it’s important to avoid saturating the material. Keep the plastic covers over remotes, power cords and plugs when cleaning your chair. If possible, use a steamer to remove stains and sanitize your lift chair. If you experience mechanical issues, hire a professional to perform any repairs to the motor or battery.
Power Lift Recliner Sizes: Choosing the Right Fit for Your Home
Once you find the right lift chair to suit your needs, you’ll also want to make sure it also works for your space. Since lift recliners take up a lot of room when fully extended, this is especially true if you’re outfitting a small living room or a tiny studio apartment layout. Keep these things in mind when decorating your living room with power lift recliners.
Lift Chair Dimensions
A lift chair is roughly the same size as a regular manual or dual power recliner. In an upright position, a power lift recliner is between 20 and 40 inches wide. When fully reclined, they may reach up to 77 inches long. Though shorter than standard models, 45 to 50-inch extra wide lift chairs provide ample space for those who sit beside medical equipment or like snuggling with pets and grandkids.
Power Lift Recliner Placement
To find the best spot for your power lift chair, you’ll need to measure the entire room as well as the distance between other furnishings. Leaving about 20 inches of space in front of and behind your chair keeps you from bumping into things as you lift and recline. As such, many people set these seats diagonally into a corner or place them against a far wall near their seating arrangement.
- Accent Tables: Setting a small accent table or end table beside your lift chair lets you keep snacks, drinks and remotes close by. It also gives you a place to put a table-top reading lamp, potted plant or cheerful family photo to brighten up the room. Pick a tiny round table if you’re short on space or a wider square table if you have a little extra room to spare.
- Side Chairs, Benches and Ottomans: Accent seats let friends and family sit beside their loved ones as they relax in lift chairs. Upholstered chairs, leather ottomans and velvet benches are the perfect complements to your power lift recliner. For extra convenience, use a storage bench to keep throw blankets handy or opt for an ottoman with casters that’s easy to move when needed.
- Other Recliners: Some people pair their power lift recliner with reclining sofas, sectionals and chairs to create a complete reclining sofa set. This ensemble gives your layout a cohesive look and a relaxing, laidback atmosphere.
- Light Fixtures: Placing floor lamps, sconces and table lamp sets around your lift chair keeps your loved one from having to stand up and turn on the overhead light. It also illuminates the space for people who like to read, knit and do crossword puzzles in their power lift recliner.
Lift Recliner Styles and Colors: Chic Options for Your Setup
Along with all the comfort and layout considerations, the best lift chair should complement your unique sense of style. A casual power recliner with stitched detailing and rich brown upholstery is perfect for a comfy rustic or mid-century modern living room design. Sleek, gray contemporary chairs are a better fit for a room with low-profile furniture and a neutral color scheme.
Add a warm beige power lift recliner with scroll arms and diamond tufting to your layout if you love the elegant look of classic decor. Or, for a more eye-catching option, consider jewel-toned seats in shades of ruby red and emerald green. Want to enhance the simple, cozy vibe of your living room? Try a modern lift chair with deep navy or forest green upholstery.